In our Tamilnadu, every second person writes poetry. First love, first love failure, poetry upon joining college, poetry when leaving college...in this way we have written poetry for every sneeze and cough of ours. When people say 'I too write poetry.', the truth is it is 'I write poetry too.'
Amongst these many who write poetry there are a few poets. One such poet, our gerat poet is Barathi. His title is that of Vani, She who sits on the white lotus and sustains the four vedas. It has been my impudent desire to translate this poet, this national poet of Tamilnadu to English. With the help of the web, on this auspicious day (Is not this day always auspicious?), I shall start this task.
The translation shall be of this nature. First a word-by-word translation will be provided for the poem. Then, a complete translation will be provided followed by an appreciation of the poem. After this, I shall attempt with my limited abilities to provide a poetic presentation of the same in English.
A few requests to all those who shall read these translations.
1. Share your comments openly. If the comments are criticisms, share them with vengeance - I'm always open to correction.
2. Those who are well verse in HTML, Blogger templates can contact me if you are willing to help in design.
3. Please publicize this site.
4. If you too are interested in providing translations, send a mail to me. I shall send Blogger invites for you to post here.
5. If you wish to share any information about Barathi, send a mail with the same to me and it will published with your name.
Long Live Barathi